CLICK TO PLAY THIS EPISODE
This episode features our frequent and very popular guest Elyse Rivin. If you enjoy her episodes, please consider supporting her on Patreon.
The Lure of Montmartre
In today's episode Elyse and Annie look at the lure of Montmartre and wonder if Montmartre is the soul of Paris or just another tourist trap. There is no doubt that Montmartre attracts a lot of visitors, but should it?
Elyse argues that given its history—which she explains in this episode—Montmartre deserves its popularity. Annie finds it too touristy. Who's right?
Dear reader, and soon to be visitor to Montmartre, you need to consider that Montmartre is out of the way from central Paris. Going there takes at least a half hour in each direction. Worth it anyway? We help you decide, but in the end it's up to you.
Of course, we also talk about the iconic Sacré Coeur, the Montmartre church everyone looks up at from central Paris. And what about the artists at Montmartre? Are they any good? Are there any decent restaurants in Montmartre?
We help you get the lay of the land before you go, and warn you about the curse of Montmartre: pickpockets. Please, do not ignore this warning.
Subscribe to the PodcastApple Google Spotify RSS
Support the ShowTip Your Guide Extras Patreon Audio Tours Merchandise
Recommended in this Episode
A la mère Catherine on place du Tertre. or one Annie enjoyed very much, Le Potager du Père Thierry (16 rue des Trois Frères), it is very small, reserve the day before!
- Where is Montmartre in Paris?
- How to Get to Montmartre
- Montmartre as a Neighborhood
- A Brief History of Montmartre
- Where did the name Montmartre come from?
- Martyrs at Montmartre
- The incredible story of Saint-Denis at Montmartre
- Long ago, Montmartre was a separate Village
- The Vineyard in Montmartre
- The importance of Montmartre during the French Revolution
- How Did Montmartre Become a Place for Artists?
- A must-see in Montmartre: Le Mur des je t'aime or Wall of Love
- Annie's affection for the story of the Passe Muraille on Place Aymé
Learn More: First Time in Paris, Paris Walks, How to Protect Yourself from Pickpockets in Paris, Episode 154
If you enjoyed this episode, you should also listen to related episode(s):
- 10 Things to Do in Paris for First Time Visitors, Episode 179
- Good Reasons to Take a Tour, Episode 169
- Romantic Paris, Episode 130
- Moulin Rouge in Paris, Episode 126
- Two Dads and a Child in Paris, Episode 111