Versailles Chateau, a Day-Trip from Paris
Today on Join Us in France we take a day-trip from Paris to Versailles and visit the Versailles Chateau. This symbol of the absolute monarchy has always inspired both admiration and resentment and we are sure it will not leave you indifferent either. One thing is for sure: it is stately. As a matter of fact, the whole city of Versailles is stately in many ways: wide avenues, statues, grand buildings.
Elyse gives us some historical background, we discuss why you should consider going, and why maybe you should skip it too. Then there’s the question of the lines which can be formidable and some tips on what you can do to make it more bearable. Should you take the time to explore the grounds or just be in and out of the château? These are all questions we tackle in today’s episode. Enjoy!
If you love our approach to travel and want to tour France with us, visit Addicted to France to look at upcoming tours.
Correction: Elyse misspoke, Louis XIV is the son of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria, NOT Mary of Medici.
If you enjoyed this episode, also listen to Louis XIV, Miraculous Child.
Episode Highlights with Time Stamps
- [3’45”] Where is it the Versailles Chateau?
- [5’50”] Historical background
- Hunting Lodge
- Louis XIII decides to build a country home there
- Construction starts in 1631
- Louis XIV decides to establish permanent residence
- [13’05”] Louis XIV invests fortunes and hires the best
- [16′] Le Notre, landscape architect
- [22’30] The role of rich Americans in restoration efforts
- No privacy for Kings and Queens
- Le Petit Trianon
- [30′] During the French Revolution
- [33’15”] The furniture you will see inside
- [36’45”] The blessing and curse of having so many historical treasures in France
- [39’30] Versailles chateau restoration is a work in progress
- [44′] Getting around
- [46’10”] How to avoid being stuck in line for hours
- [55′] The best way to get there
Conclusion: If you don’t have a reserved timed ticket and if you are not visiting with a tour guide, consider arriving around 1 PM so you don’t wait in line as long.
RSS | iTunes | Android | Stitcher Radio | TuneIn Radio