CLICK TO PLAY THIS EPISODE
Paris Packing List Episode Highlights
Download the packing list.
- [4’11”] Americans tend to dress more casually than French people.
- [6′] There is a Paris Style.
- [7’50”] How to dress for Paris specifically.
- [8’30”] No Bermuda shorts, sexy short shorts only for very young women.
- [10’50”] Paris brings out the dressiness in people, but don’t get too dressy.
- [11’30”] People don’t dress up to go out at night as much as they used to and you will not get turned away for not wearing a jacket and tie in Paris.
- [13′] You can wear business casual even at the Symphony in France.
- [14’10] Scarves will dress up any outfit as a decorative element for both men and women.
- [15′] Practical tip: bring interchangeable items in dark solid colors and add colorful scarves or wraps. Women can bring summer dresses and capris.
- [16’20”] Shoes: no sandals with socks, no clunky “nurse’s shoes”, but it’s OK to wear sandals and casual shoes.
- [17’45] Men wear capris in France!
- [18’20] Annie’s faux-pas at the Disneyland Hotel and at Louis Vuiton in Paris.
- [22’44”] How to up your clothing game as a tourist in Paris: accessorize, wear a leather jacket (or a crochet jacket, or any sort of jacket), clothes that are cut closer to the body.
- [24’20”] Change your outfit at the end of the day, women don’t wear t-shirts with words.
- [26′] Some women in Paris wear dresses and high-heels, but they are not the majority. When walking a lot, wear closed shoes where your feet can’t move around too much.
- [28’27”] No shorts for women over 30 in the city. Capris are fine. Sun-dresses and skirts are commonly worn in France.
- [29’25”] Whatever you wear, you MUST have a bag that zips and goes across your torso. Men should not have their wallet in the back pocket of their pants.
- [30′] Clean pants and a nice polo shirt works great for men, even if you are going to a nice restaurant.
- [31′] A lot depends on who you hang out with. Fancy situations call for fancier clothes and accessories.
- [32’44”] Layers are important in the winter.
- [35′] French people wear fitting clothes, but don’t do it if you’re uncomfortable.
- [38′] No baseball caps, berets are for old folks, Panama hats are stylish and can be worn by both men and women.
- [40″] If you’re a “fluffy person” (aka fat) do what you want, wear what you want, don’t worry about what other people think. You don’t have to wear black.