We spent a week in Barcelona before taking the train to Carcassonne. No problems with that at all…although I hadn’t realized that Narbonne to Carcassonne would not be assigned seating, so it was a bit of a juggle to find places for our bags.
- AIrBnb on Rue Trivalle, a GREAT location.
- Rented bikes for three days (two gravel and one eBike) from Evadeo Cycles and rode along the Canal du Midi. HIGH RECOMMENDATION
- Poked around the Tour de France set up Sunday morning before cyclists arrived (we did not have access to the gated VIP area), and rode a bit on the route.
- Did a run along the Aude River; beautiful riverside park
- Ate at two restaurants in the Cité, Le Plô (good service and food), and Les Terrasses de la Cité (not great food or service; truly one of the few disappointing experiences); a few in the Carcassone Center, all of which were good food and service, but none that were a “you have to go here” level).
- Several free concerts offered in Carcassone Center…it seems like they are offered throughout the summer, and not necessarily just because of the Tour. It made for a very festive and lively city to visit.
- La Ferme fromagerie. I love a good fromagerie, but next time…I will tell them the fois gras is for half as many people. Too much foie gras.
- A great “locals” boulangerie: Boulangerie Ancestrale, 234 Avenue Général Leclerc Maréchal de France
- Never did figure out public transport (it didn’t show up on Google Map directions), but with the bikes and walking, it wasn’t an issue– RTAC
- Picked up a rental car from the airport…my husband rode one of the bikes out there…doable, but he learned that busy French roundabouts are not fun on a bike…not quite the Champs Elysées, but harrowing enough.
- Didn’t stay here, just came through to see the Tour (and my son and I got to go to the Chateau).
- beautiful small town; even with Tour, you could look around.
- Found a village’s night market on the way to next AirBnb and had dinner.
- AirBnb…most often used in winter, it had more cobwebs and ants than i’d like to admit. Still clean, but I doubt anyone did much of a once over before we checked in.
- Very sleepy town with not much there, but SBdC was just 2 km away.
- Excellent restaurant Comme Chex Pappa et Maman
- Grottes of Gargas (French tour with English written translation).
- Saint Bertrand de Commingles – the Cathedral and Fournil Resistance.
- Lac d’Oô hike
Returned rental car to Carcassonne, got train (with upgrade to first class due to a strike!) back to Barcelona via Narbonne.