Category: France How To
Will My Credit Card Work in France?
This episode is my answer to a question sent in by listener Michael who asked: Will my credit card work in France? I've mentioned credit cards in various episodes—notably here Store Hours and Credit Cards in France, Episode 10 but also in episode Paris Trip Report, Episode 77 with Shari and Craig.
I haven't done a show yet all about the new types of credit cards that people are getting in North America and whether or not it changes anything for visitors. Today I delve into all of that, so you can be sure where you stand.
- Why Is There So Little Security on US Credit Cards?
- French Credit Cards Have Been Protected with a Pin Code for a Long Time
- Do You Have a Credit Card or a Debit Card?
- Check on Your Card Limits Before You Travel
- How In-Person Purchases Work in France
- Paying for Gas in France
- Paying for Tolls in France
- Do You Need a Pin and Chip Card to Come to France?
French Tip of the Week
- Ma carte ne marche pas, comment faire ?
- Est-ce qu'il y a une station service avec une caissière près d'ici ?
FOLLOW US ON:
Discussed in this Episode
- American Credit Cards in France
- Chip and Pin
- Chip and Sign
- French Tip of the Week
- Tolls and Credit Cards in France
Subscribe to the PodcastApple Google Spotify RSS
Support the ShowTip Your Guide Extras Patreon Audio Tours Merchandise
If you enjoyed this episode, you should also listen to related episode(s):
So, if you're asking will my credit card work in France? This is what you need to know:
- If your card works in the US to withdraw cash from an ATM, it will also work to withdraw cash from and ATM in France.
- If your card does not work in a machine in France, find an attendant. Humans attendants can run any type of card.
- Generally speaking, there are no attendants at gas stations and toll booths in France.
- Gas stations on the freeways (Autoroute) almost always have attendants, so do bigger gas stations in large cities. Buy your gas there (you will probably pay higher prices).
- At toll boths always line up under the green arrow, those automated payment machines are programmed to take the widest array of credit cards. If that doesn't work, use the call button where the human attendant can run your card based on the numbers, just like they do when you place an order over the phone.
- Do you NEED a chip and pin card when you travel to France? You do not, but it will make your life easier if you do.
Read more about this episodeShow Notes
Category: France How To