CLICK TO PLAY THIS EPISODE
Welcome to the Marais Neighborhood in Paris!
Le Marais neighborhood in Paris is a both a must-see and a trendy place. Yes, it used to be a swamp, but be assured it hasn't been one for many centuries! The Marais is one of the oldest, most charming neighborhoods of Paris, which is why so many guidebooks recommend that you go visit it.
In this episode, Elyse takes us on a walk through the Marais neighborhood, explaining about the history and most important landmarks as she goes along. This is a great episode to listen to before you walk the Marais neighborhood yourself so you understand what you see and enjoy it to the fullest.
The Marais neighborhood is where you will find many lavish Hôtel Particulier, the place des Vosges, narrow streets, wonderful restaurants, wonderful small shops, great museums such as the Picasso Museum, the Pompidou Museum, and the Carnavalet Museum (closed until late 2019), to name just a few.
What You Will Learn About in this Episode
- Historical Backgroud of Le Marais neighborhood in Paris
- Knights Templars
- Later developments with Henry IV
- Place des Vosges
- Village Saint-Paul
- There are many museums in Le Marais
- Jewish Museum in Le Marais
- Brunch is the new trend in France
- Le Marais as a gay neighborhood
- The feel of Paris
- More Must-See in Le Marais
- Place des Vosges
- Hôtel de Sully
- Musée Carnavalet (Closed until late 2019)
- Picasso Museum
- Cognacq-Jay (free)
- Hôtel de Soubise
- Victor-Hugo apartment (free)
- Maison Européenne de la Photographie
- Musée de la chasse et de la nature
- Musée de la poupée (dolls)
- Elyse's tour in the Marais
Elyse's Walking Tour in the Marais
To follow in Elyse's footsteps and not miss anything in the Marais, listen to the episode minute 42 until minute 48 where she outlines her favorite walk around the Marais.
Learn More: Paris Walks, First time in paris