This episode features our frequent and very popular guest Elyse Rivin. If you enjoy her episodes, please consider supporting her on Patreon.
Le Marais neighborhood in Paris is a both a must-see and a trendy place. Yes, it used to be a swamp, but be assured it hasn't been one for many centuries! The Marais is one of the oldest, most charming neighborhoods of Paris, which is why so many guidebooks recommend that you go visit it. We recommend you do too.
On a Walk in the Marais in Paris
In this episode, Elyse takes us on a walk through the Marais neighborhood, explaining about the history and most important landmarks as she goes along. This is a great episode to listen to before you walk the Marais neighborhood yourself so you understand what you see and enjoy it to the fullest.
The Marais neighborhood is where you will find many lavish Hôtel Particulier, the place des Vosges, narrow streets, wonderful restaurants, wonderful small shops, great museums such as the Picasso Museum, the Pompidou Museum, and the Carnavalet Museum (closed until late 2019), to name just a few.
Marais Neighborhood Episode Highlights
- Historical Backgroud of Le Marais neighborhood in Paris
- Knights Templars
- Later developments with Henry IV
- Place des Vosges
- Village Saint-Paul
- There are many museums in Le Marais
- Jewish Museum in Le Marais
- Brunch is the new trend in France
- Le Marais as a gay neighborhood
- The feel of Paris
- More Must-See in Le Marais
- Place des Vosges
- Hôtel de Sully
- Musée Carnavalet (Closed until late 2019)
- Picasso Museum
- Cognacq-Jay (free)
- Hôtel de Soubise
- Victor-Hugo apartment (free)
- Maison Européenne de la Photographie
- Musée de la chasse et de la nature
- Musée de la poupée (dolls)
- Elyse's tour in the Marais
Elyse's Walking Tour in the Marais
To follow in Elyse's footsteps, listen to the episode minute 42 until minute 48 where she outlines her favorite walk around the Marais turn by turn.
Learn More: Paris Walks, First time in paris