CLICK TO PLAY THIS EPISODE
Today on Join Us in France we take you to the beautiful port city of Marseille in France. You may see an "s" at the end of Marseille in English, but not in French. Being French and stubborn, I will not add the "s"!
The Oldest City in France and One of the Bigger Ones Too!
Marseille is the oldest city in France and we're here to tell you that it doesn't deserve the bad reputation going around the internet. It is a place for lovely weather, great beaches, interesting museums, lots of ports and chances to get on the water, great food--can you say Bouillabaisse?!--great churches to visit and it's a very popular cruise ship stop too! If you've never visited you need to get down there, you will not regret it!
Marseille Episode Highlights
- In the movies
- France tourism news
- A brief history
- The Black Pleague
- Why is the French national anthem called "La Marseillaise"?
- Influxes of population
- The City during WWII
- Do you know about the Pieds-Noirs?
- The French melting-pot
- Must-Sees in Marseille
- La Cité Radieuse by architect Le Corbusier
- Local Food Specialty: la Bouillabaisse
- Cruise stop
- Some things you need to know about taking the bus in France