This post contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Please read my disclosure page for more details.
Category: Montpellier Area
This episode features our frequent and very popular guest Elyse Rivin. If you enjoy her episodes, please consider supporting her on Patreon.
Today's episode is all about Collioure and the Côte Vermeille which is the last stretch of coastline between France and Spain on the Mediterranean side of the Pyrenees. Locals call that part of the Pyrenees the Albère.
This part of France (pretty close to the city of Perpignan) is part of Catalonia and local people speak Catalan as well as French today. Like all regions of France, the area enjoys strong local culture, it's a great place to enjoy beautiful views, good weather (all be it windy at times), and fantastic local food and wine too!
Are you ready to discover the best there is to see around Collioure and the Côte Vermeille? Click play and enjoy!
FOLLOW US ON:
Discussed in this Episode
- Elyse's Voicemap Tour of Toulouse [03:06]
- Collioure on the Vermeil Coast [06:18]
- Historical development of Collioure [08:31]
- Catalonia and the Kings of Majorca [10:06]
- Counts of Roussillon [11:15]
- How this area became part of France [13:55]
- General Vauban and the fort he built in Collioure [15:04]
- Collioure as a Navy Base [15:43]
- Spanish Refugees and the Retarida [17:41]
- The arrival of artists in the 1870s [20:57]
- Matisse and Derain [25:45]
- Fauvist Movement [26:57]
- Collioure Today and the Fauve Trail [31:40]
- La Maison du Fauvisme [32:38]
- Notre Dame des Anges [31:40]
- Le Musée d'Art Moderne de Collioure (outside the old village) is not as good [32:38]
- Enjoying Collioure and the Bay [32:12]
- Local Gastronomy and Wine [39:59]
- Anchovies in the Catalonian style [39:59]
- Port Vendres and why you should see it [39:05]
- Driving to the Point Béar Lighthouse [41:04]
- Anse de Paulilles and the Nobel dynamite factory [44:21]
- German bunkers on the coastline [47:33]
- Banyuls-sur-Mer [49:35]
- Terraced wine fields [50:04]
- Spas at Banyuls and La Table de Jordi Restaurant [50:04]
Subscribe to the PodcastApple Google Spotify RSS
Support the ShowTip Your Guide Extras Patreon Audio Tours Merchandise
Recommended in this Episode
Hôtel Le Catalan: Elyse loved it, even her husband loved it and he's not a hotel person! This is in Banyuls-sur-Mer.
Restaurant: La Table de Jordi. Great fish dishes at a super reasonable price! You should reserve it's always full!
I couldn't do what I do without the support of my wonderful Patrons! You too can get exclusive content from Annie for as little as $2 per month. And I am super proud of my VoiceMap tours, not only will you see the best of Paris, you'll understand it too!
If you enjoyed this episode, you should also listen to related episode(s):
Read more about this episodeTranscript
Category: Montpellier Area