What’s a Podcast? How do I listen?
At Join Us in France we produce and publish podcasts which is another word for audio on demand.
- Apple devices already come with a Podcast App by default (purple icon below).
- Android phones do not come with a default podcast app, you have to install one from the Google Play Store.
- There are dozens of Podcast Apps you can choose from on either Apple or Android, but they don’t have the same features.
Why You Should Subscribe to Podcasts
If you don’t subscribe to the podcasts you like you’ll never hear that podcast again unless you remember the exact name and search for it. I can’t remember the names of my own family members sometimes, so it’s a lot safer for me to subscribe to the podcasts I enjoy.
After you’re subscribed you can also pick and choose past episodes of a particular podcast you want to listen to. If not subscribed you can only see the newest episode and you won’t be able to search for other episodes.
Podcasts Are NOT Space Hogs
Your Podcast App knows your listening habits. If you only open the App once a month and there are now 4 new episodes of Join Us in France, it will show them to you and let you decide if you want them or not.
As soon as you finish listening to an episode of the Podcast it gets erased from your phone. Most episodes of Join Us in France take up less room than a 20 second video, so if you’re worried about space on your phone, delete videos first!
Podcast Apps I Recommend
I have selected Podcast Apps that have 3 important features:
- I want the Podcast App to display the show notes with links. You’ve heard me say “the link is in the show notes”. Well, some Podcast Apps don’t display show notes at all and others kill all the links. I want you to see the links to save you time.
- I need to be able to search for a particular episode that talks about a specific topic. Say you’re going to Paris and you just want to hear about Paris right now. You need the ability to search for the word “Paris” within all the episodes of Join Us in France so you can go straight to the good stuff. Most Podcast Apps do not let you do that.
- The App needs to displays accented characters for French because I’m a language snob.
There are only TWO Podcast Apps that do all 3 right now, so there are the ones I can recommend:
The default Podcast App that comes with your iphone:
CastBox (You can get it on either iPhone or Android and it’s free).
So, there you have it, podcasts are great and you should subscribe to them if you don’t want to be the victim of your own bad memory. It’s free and easy.