Tips for Driving in France
On today’s show Annie and guests share tips for driving in France. You’ll hear from Stephanie and Dawn from Canada who drove between Bordeaux and Paris and my friend Jeff who drove around Provence and the south-west. All of us together share great tips for driving in France. If you are considering driving yourself in France, also listen to Episode 16 of the podcast which explains more of the rules and the gotchas. Both of those episodes should have you well-prepared for driving in France.
There are times when driving is so much easier than taking the train or even the bus. For instance, if you want to visit Loire Castles, well, you will either have to join a tour or rent a car because all of those castles aren’t exactly in the middle of a city with a train station. Same with Normandy. A lot of the highlights are in the country far from public transportation. If you want to explore the south-west where I am, it’s so much easier with a car! I am not saying that it’s impossible to visit those areas without out car, but it’s quite difficult. So yes, if you’re a do-it-yourself traveler, you need to become familiar with these tips for driving in France, so keep listening!
Would you like to tour France with Annie and Elyse? Visit Addicted to France to choose an upcoming tour.
- [4’00”] Areas of France that are hard to visit without a car
- [5’35”] French tip of the week at the end of the episode today
- [5’45”] Consider joining the Join Us in France Closed Group on Facebook where you can also ask your own questions
- [7’05”] Start of conversation with Stephanie and Dawn
- [8’00”] Stephanie was against driving because she’s “risk averse”
- [8’30”] Dawn found driving in France very navigable, roundabouts make it easier
- [9’00] Gotcha: if you miss your exit on the freeway in France, you may need to keep driving for a long time before you get to another exit
- [11’00”] Use either a GPS App or get a stand-alone GPS
- [12’00”] Don’t forget to edit the settings on your GPS
- [13’20”] Should you get an international driver’s license?
- [15’30] Don’t bring too much luggage or it won’t fit in the car!
- [17’00”] Having a car brings freedom
- [18’40”] Waze, Google Maps, and Maps work well in France
- [19’45”] Apps and GPS Make It Possible to Anticipate
- [21’15] Start conversation with Jeff
- [22’39”] What if you want to take day-trips from Paris?
- [23’00”] What out for the speed limit!
- [25’50”] Roundabouts Behavior
- [26’50”] Is driving in France stressful?
- [27’40”] What about paying for tolls?
RSS | iTunes | Android | Stitcher Radio | TuneIn Radio Continue reading Tips for Driving in France, Episode 138