Sorèze and Revel: Great Day Trips from Toulouse (or Carcassonne)
Toulouse is a great place to come stay for a few days because not only is it a lovely city, but once you’re here, there are a lot of great places you can visit as day trips. Most of those day trips around Toulouse require a car, and such is the case with the one we’re discussing today: Sorèze and Revel: Great Day Trips from Toulouse (or Carcassonne)
Places mentioned in this episode: Saint-Felix de Lauragais, Sorèze, Revel, Saint-Ferréol Lake, Lac de Belleserre, Aeroscopia near Toulouse
Would you like to tour France with Annie and Elyse? Visit Addicted to France to choose an upcoming tour.
What You Will Learn About in this Episode
- 2’ 03 This Join Us in France episode 156 aboutSorèze and Revel: Great Day Trips from Toulouse (or Carcassonne)
- 4’ Annie and Elyse argue about how to say the name “Revel” + the lake of Saint-Ferréol.
- 6’ The Lauragais area with rolling hills. A wheat-growing area, villages on the top of hills.
- 7’22 The first place you get to on our drive is Saint-Felix de Lauragais
- 8’38 Revel is a small town of around 10,000 people, which makes it a small city by French standards
- 9’50 Furniture-making in the Lauragais: they make good quality copies of classic French furniture styles
- 10’40 Biscuiteries and cookie makers in the Lauragais
- 11’20 One of the main reasons to visit Revel is to visit the Saturday Market. Revel is a “bastide” with an old covered market with a belfry at its center
- 13’44 Weighing stones at the Revel Market
- 16’ There is a great bakery in Revel, they make lovely “croustade” with apples and lemon. They call it “pastel” there
- 18’30 The Montagne Noire in the Lauragais
- 19’20 The village of Sorèze, a town founded in the 700s and famous for its “Abbaye-école de Sorèze”. Hughe Auffrey is a French singer who attended this school
- 25’20 Dom Robert the Benedictine Monk who became a tapestry artist, the museum in Sorèze specializes in tapestries because of him
- 27’ When is a good time to visit Sorèze to enjoy the artist colony side of things? There are craft fairs in the summer, try to
- 27’30 There is a small glass museum in Sorèze because there is a history of glass-makers who lived in the woods long ago
- 30’ The Saint-Ferréol Lake: Annie hates it, Elyse likes it, we’ll let you be the judge and let us know in the comments! This lake was created by Pierre-Paul Riquet to help bring water to the Canal du Midi to help it enough water in the canal year-round.
- 35’15 Why Annie hates the Saint-Ferréol Lake
- 39’ There is another, more wild lake nearby also: Lac d’en Brunet (or Lac de Belleserre)
- 43’30 Aeroscopia Museum in Toulouse
There are gems of architecture and history in areas of France that never get any love or attention from travel writers. We’re not shy about loving the South-West and share gems that will take you to the heart of France off the beaten track.
Got Feedback or Extra Information? Write a comment below or call the voice mail box! 1-801-816-1015
RSS | iTunes | Android | Stitcher Radio | TuneIn Radio