Honeymoon Ideas: the French Riviera
This episode is full of great honeymoon ideas for people who want to have the best of both worlds: a vacation where you explore a new country and city, plus spend plenty of time relaxing at the beach and enjoying one another’s company.
In the episode Romantic Paris, Gary told us about their time in Paris, but as fun as that was, Gary and Leslie also wanted to spend time on the Mediterranean Sea. Why? Because that’s where all the celebrities love to go because it is so scenic and pleasant. So, settle in with the drink of you choice and find some of the best honeymoon ideas for 2017!
If you like this episode and want to visit the French Riviera, you should also listen to Episode 118 and Episode 37 about Marseilles; Episode 33 on Aix-en-Provence; Episode 83 about the Baux-de-Provence, the Lubéron and the Abbey de Sénanque.
Hotel recommended in this episode: Hôtel La Pérouse in Nice.
Places mentioned in this episode: Nice, Cannes, Saint-Paul-de-Vence, Èze, La Turbie, Monaco.
Would you like to tour France with Annie and Elyse? Visit Addicted to France to choose an upcoming tour.
- [2’06] Announcing Enhanced Show Notes for Patreon Supporters
- [8’12”] 4 days and 4 nights in Nice, on the French Riviera
- [9′] The idea was to explore Paris, but also add a relaxed but take time for the romance as well
- [10′] The French Riviera where the elites go to vacation and some of the most beautiful places in the world
- [11’31] Nice seemed like a good place to be based out of because it is so central, and old-town Nice is so quaint
- [12’15] Thinking about renting a luxury car but changing their mind after learning some specifics about driving in France, and especially parking on the Riviera (listen to the episode in full for more reasons not to do that!)
- [13’42] Booking private tours just for the two of them on Viatour instead and finding out some interesting historical facts from the drivers/guides
- [14′] You can see strong historical ties between France and Italy when visiting the Riviera, and it looks like Tuscany in places
- [15′] Great Pizza and Italian food at the French Riviera, and how they don’t slice it for you
- [16′] Their driver took them to Cannes (you can also listen to the episode about the Cannes Film Festival) to get a quick taste
- [17″15] Antibes, which has a lovely Picasso Museum, but if you want to see amazing yachts and boats, this is the place to go
- [19″] Saint-Paul de Vence, the Jewel of the French Riviera, a walled medieval city with a lot of history, cobblestone streets, and art galleries
- [21′]Èze, another medieval city with a beautiful not-to-be-missed garden at the top of the hill, great gelato, great cheese and meat platter, and the Parfumarie Galimard where you can get a free tour of how they make soap
- [23′] Parking in Èze is difficult, La Turbie is very close to Èze and also very nice to visit
- [24′] Monaco, second smallest country in the world, extremely rich, very interesting to see, you can see sites where they filmed To Catch a Thief, you can see the Casino and all the luxury cars, they drove on the road where the Grand Prix de Monaco takes place, there’s also a great aquarium, you can tour the Palace
- [29′] Is 4 days enough? Just right? Too much?
- [30’15] Hôtel La Pérouse in Nice, Gary describes the wonderful view and great services
- [33’44] Local food and restaurants: a lot of seafood, pastas with octopus
- [35′] Popular drinks in Nice: a “Monaco” (beer + grenadine) and a “Panaché” (beer + limonade), Pastis or Anisette (anis-flavored apéritif drink)
- [36′] La Fougasse: bread with onion and anchovies or other items, pizza is also very good, great ice-cream parlors (Fenocchio is a favorite of Annie’s)
- [37’30] Beach clubs: a highlight of their honeymoon, they went to Castel Plage, you pay for lounge chairs, umbrella, towels, and you have service, food, drinks (including a very large Blonde de Saint-Tropez)
- [44′] It’s a rocky beach in Nice, so it’s good to have a beach chair and have beach shoes, and then you don’t have to worry about messy sand!
- [46’30] September was great weather in both Paris and Nice
- [48′] Old town Nice is lovely, has great restaurant, great to walk around and explore
- [49′] Spending 4 full days in Nice would be too long, but breaking it up with visits to other areas makes it just right
- [49’30] How listening to the podcast was critical in helping Gary get inspiration
To sum it all up, to come up with great honeymoon ideas, you have to bring a mix of the following magical elements:
- Beautiful surroundings: both Paris and the French Riviera have an over-abundance of that!
- Pleasant weather: September in France is not too hot, not too cold, it is just right!
- Be willing to pay for a lovely hotel in a great location.
- Plan on some tourism, but limit those activities to 3 or 4 hours per day, so there’s plenty of time to relax.
- Don’t try to do it all yourself: driving yourself can be fun, but it can also be stressful. Let other people take care of anything stressful for you.
- Take into account the preferences of both spouses, you can have plenty of exploration mixed in with relaxation if you plan it right as Gary did.
- If you enjoyed the show be sure to subscribe below so you don’t miss a single episode!
RSS | iTunes | Android | Stitcher Radio | TuneIn Radio