The Bayeux Tapestry
Today on Join Us in France we take you to Bayeux, the prettiest little city in lower Normandy and a place where everyone seems to speak English! Bayeux is a must-see city for history buffs for many reasons, starting with those two: the Bayeux Tapestry and WWII history. This, and more, on today’s show. Enjoy!
Would you like to tour France with Annie and Elyse? Visit Addicted to France to choose an upcoming tour.
- A brief history
- What is the city famous for today
- Local food specialties
- Vikings in Normandy
- What is the Bayeux Tapestry about?
- Harold betrays William
- William the Conqueror and the armada
- Harold gets killed by an arrow that went through his eye
- The beginning of French influence on England
- Work of art and documentation of history
- 70 meters long, it is an embroidered scroll more than a tapestry
- Superb colors and intricate details
- Tells a story much like a comic strip would today
- Incredible craftsmanship
- During WWII
- The Cathedral and surroundings today
- Medieval Festival the first week-end of July
- Other things you can visit nearby having to do with WWII
- Calvados, the drink and the department
Conclusion: Bayeux is a great central location from which to visit Normandy, the Bayeux Tapestry is a must-see, the city center is gorgeous, and the people are friendly. If you’re looking to get out of Paris, this may be the place for you!
RSS | iTunes | Android | Stitcher Radio | TuneIn Radio